Prince Harry will announce his engagement to Meghan Markle on August 4, according to reports.

The couple have been dating since last year and are reportedly set to announce Prince Harry’s expected proposal in three months so as not to overshadow some big political and State events for the UK in coming months.

“They are not engaged formally but there is an understanding,” a source told the Daily Mail newspaper.

“The engagement announcement is still tipped for August 4 and is unlikely to come earlier.”

The source said the general election (June 8), the formation of a new government (June 9), the State Opening of Parliament (June 19) and the State visit of King Felipe of Spain (July 12-14) could not be overshadowed.

Prince Harry confirmed he was dating Markle when Kensington Palace released a statement in November saying how “disappointed” the flame-haired royal was that he had not been able to protect the Suits star from the online trolls she had faced since the romance was made public.

His girlfriend, Meghan Markle, has been subject to a wave of abuse and harassment. Some of this has been very public ... the outright sexism and racism of social media trolls and web article comments,” the statement said.